Roberts & Belk

In the first half of the 20th century, Roberts and Belk was a well-known firm of manufacturing platers and silversmiths. They had been established in Sheffield in 1810. In 1901 the firm converted into a limited liability company, the first directors being Charles Belk and Walter Belk. In 1961 it was purchased by the London manufacturing silversmiths, C J Vander.

Traditionally, Roberts and Belk had a 'high-class' goods range where 'every piece was designed by the firm's own staff'. Walter Belk (1872-1963) was originally an architect. As director of this important firm, he was immensely supportive of the Goldsmiths' Company's schemes to improve design in silver. He was elected to the Livery of the Company in 1929.

2 ITEMS